Voting opens today for the SXSW 2019 Conference Panel Picker and the Event Horizon Telescope team needs your vote! Click on the EHT link and vote today to help select this panel presentation for one of the coveted slots on the March 2019 conference roster. Voting ends August 30, 2018.
The EHT team will be introducing the audience to a number of key takeaways for this panel presentation, including:
- Black holes can be seen even though light cannot escape them. Surrounding matter illuminates the hole's “shadow”, revealing the shape of spacetime.
- The EHT is a global experiment linking telescopes across Earth and resulting in the first-ever “photographs” of our own Galaxy’s central black hole.
- The act of seeing an object for the first time—like the actual event horizon of a black hole—plays a key role in the development of science.
Panel speakers will be:
- Sera Markoff, Professor of Theoretical Astrophysics and Astroparticle Physics, University of Amsterdam (panel organizer)
- Peter Galison, Joseph Pellegrino University Professor, Harvard University
- Dimitrios Psaltis, Professor of Astronomy and Physics, University of Arizona
- Sheperd Doeleman, EHT Project Director, Senior Astronomer, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Vote today and send the panel to Austin! Panel Picker voting ends August 30, 2018!